Monday, April 11, 2011

DIY cheese cloth prop

Have you seen those amazing cheese cloth wraps being used in newborn photos lately??   They are so easy to make and you don't even have to make a special trip to get the supplies.  Everything you need is at your local grocery store!  For just a few dollars you can have a few wraps in your prop stash too!  With Easter around us its a great time for egg dye kits and those will actually work very well to dye the cloth.  You can also experiment, just like with eggs, with an assortment of natural dyes, like onion skins (brown), red cabbage (blue), blueberrys (mauvy purple), tea or coffee.

Here are the ones I made last night!  All with 2 cups of hot water + 1tbsp vinegar and colour!  I used koolaid (wow I found a use for it!), food colouring and tea.  I also tried to make a confetti one, which I rushed, but will attempt again.



For the koolaid ones I just used my favourite colour of those packets you have to add sugar to and let them soak for about 20 mins or so.  The food colouring and strong tea I used LOTS of  but you can play to get the colour intesity you like!

If you want more variety and darker colours i would use Rit dyes...  but for now, the koolaid works. As for the confetti one...  I wet the cloth and layed it out in a double layer, then sprinkled it with coloured sprinkles!  I was impatient and shook them out too soon.  :(  I will try again tho and let them dry out side before shaking them out.    I'm thinking a good long time in a hot dryer, and/or some hot ironing will help set the colours too but really I'm not all too concerned.  The 6 of them were about $8 total to make.

If you make any, let me know!

7 comments:

  1. i should say... I cut my cloth in half! ;) so i got 2 per package!

    ReplyDelete
  2. where do you find cheese cloth at? This is a great idea. I would love to try it

    ReplyDelete
  3. On your grocery list write 'cheesecloth' and next time you go shopping just ask customer service! You can find it at walmart, and dollar stores too! Its used for cooking and jam making and yogurt/cheese making, so MOST regular grocery stores should have it all year long.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would you mind telling which kolaids you used for the one's you have posted? Did you use cold water or water?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe i used hot water! cherry, blue raspberry, lime....

    ReplyDelete
  6. What kind of care do you use? do you wash them on the gentle cycle, or handwash?? thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hand wash when needed! Honestly tho.. for the price, if you got to use them a couple times, you could likely just toss them if a baby has an accident! ;)

    ReplyDelete